- June 2013: Honoring Terry McAdams
- March 2013: IATA Addendum; Lithium Batteries; Laptop Battery Fires
- February 2013: IATA Addendum; MSDS offering Hazard Communication and Safety Data Sheets Training; Lithium Batteries:
Japan Airlines new Boeing B-787; Soap Box: lithium battery Safety
- January 2013: IATA Addendum; Even more confussion on Lithium Batteries!
- December 2012:IATA Addendum; Lithium Batteries!
- November 2012:Aerosol Products; Lithium Batteries; R-A Specialists Inc. corporate name; Hurricane Sandy
- October 2012: Warehouse Training class added for October 16; Domestic U.S. D.O.T. Special Permits; Lithium Batteries changes in 2013;
Reverse Logistics, returning dangerous goods; DGAC Conference October 15-17, 2012.
- July 2012: Russ Bowen; Special Permits; Lithium Batteries; Up-to-date MSDS
- June 2012: Domestic U.S. D.O.T. Special Permits; Alan Alda and the word "Flame"; U.S. Independence Day -
July 4th; Lithium Batteries – From Howard Skolnick
- May 2012: TSA Screening and Guns; Lithium Battery incident report; Explosive Cartridges
- Apr 2012: Hazmat Training Discount; Dangerous Pig Farms; Lithium Battery Heat
- Mar 2012: Lithium Batteries Confusion and Errors
- Feb 2012: Senate Hazardous Materials Transportation Improvement Safety Act of 2011; Millionaires; Congressional insider trading; Lithium handling
labels must be attached; HM-215K hidden requirment
- Jan 2012: Refrigerated Ocean Containers; FAA issues rules to prevent tired airline pilots; 9-11 Revisited; Rant: Tax on millionaires
- Dec 2011: Requirments for closing Drums; Rant: The Economy, stupid (congress); More on Lithium Batteries; Refrigerated Ocean Containers
- Nov 2011: toner create a static charge when vacuumed; 1.4S explosives be certain to check the special provisions; 2012 IATA Changes in the
Regulations; Proposal that all lithium ion and lithium metal cells and batteries be fully regulated.
- Oct 2011: 2012 IATA Changes in the Regulations; Approaching Deadline - Cigarette Lighters; Do Your MSDSs Measure Up; U.S. FAA Proposes $207,200
Penalty; TSA announced that so far in 2011 they discovered and confiscated more than 800 guns in passengers’ carry-on luggage; The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) lithium
- Sep 2011: 9/11/01-- WE WILL NEVER FORGET!; SP A165 is being overlooked; Lithium Batteries, Lufthansa Cargo MD-11 freighter crash; Do Your MSDSs
Measure Up to Global Regulatory Requirements?
- Aug 2011: Lithium Batteries: another accident?; Shipping fire extinguisher actuating charges; 9/11 Declassifed pictures;
- July 2011: Fireworks War-Room Stories!; What is a shipper?
- June 2011: Transportation Security; fireworks a serious risk; Explosive Lithium Batteries Video; online database to report injuries or hazards posed
by consumer products; the many important uses of lithium batteries
- May 2011: Warehouse Employee Hazmat Training; Workers’ Memorial Day; DHS new security alert; new tool and resource for pediatricians and other health
care providers as well as parents and families
- April 2011: Warehouse Employee Hazmat Training; The elimination of Consumer Commodities; Downloadable MSDS form in new format; Lithium Batteries
- March 2011: Warehouse Employee Hazmat Training; Major Changes on the horizon; FedEx self-correcting dangerous goods declarations program woes
- February 2011: 2010 IMDG Code Amendment 35; Proposed New Rules for U.S. Truckers; U.S. D.O.T./PHMSA Final Rules for Hazardous Materials by Air;
Texting while in training a NO-NO!
- January 2011: IATA Addendum to the Dangerous Goods Regulations, 52nd Edition; 24 Hour Emergency Phone Contact; Operator Variation by FedEx, FX-18;
Rant: failure of local drivers to practice even basic loading, bracing and blocking rules; Duty Time: Truck Drivers, Pilot, Train Engineers and Conductors
- December 2010: 24 Hour Emergency Phone Contact; Not Bill Maher’s new rules….; Lithium Batteries -- we’re still waiting, and waiting, and waiting….;
Shipping Lithium Batteries manufactured before before 1 January 2003
- November 2010: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Classes changes; 24 Hour Emergency Phone Contact; where do you place the letters RQ on the air
dangerous goods declaration? ; DG Acceptance Checklists - does it really vary from airline to airlines?
- October 2010: 32nd Annual Conference & Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition; Hazardous Ale?; PHMSA
requires that shippers must identify the person or organization providing the 24 hour emergency phone contact; Send us your Rants!
- September 2010: FAA may penalize medical supplier; 33 Trapped Chilean Miners Are Alive After 17 Days; new rules concerning the safe transportation of
lithium ion and lithium metal batteries should be published shortly; Two major airline cargo aircraft accidents within 41 days.
- August 2010: Why driver and warehouse personnel need training; Lithium Batteries -- smokeless cigarettes” may be even more dangerous than tobacco
cigarettes; The Material Safety Data Sheet must comply with Global Harmonization System (GHS) standards; What happens when you fail to pay attention to State Variations.
- July 2010: U.S. Independence Day July 4; U.S. Hazmat Information; DGAC 32nd Annual Conference & Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition
- June 2010: Frozen and Temperature Sensitive Packaging; Lithium Batteries & Other Electric Power Sources; Sodium metal halide battery technology;
Warehouse & Driver Training final rules dealing with lithium battery shipments; Warehouse Training; U.S. Hazmat Information; DGAC 32nd Annual Conference & Hazardous Materials
- May 2010: Chemical Safety Board Website; Shanghai World Expo; Lithium Batteries, U.S.D.O.T./PHMSA is expected to publish final rules dealing with
lithium battery shipments by 1-1-11; Warehouse Training, the weakest link in hazmat safety.
- April 2010: D.O.T. Hazmat Website; more MSDS; D.O.T. is offering a free Seminar & Workshop; Block and brace your load of freight on that truck;
Lithium Batteries, the weakest link
- March 2010: 24 Hour Emergency Phone Contact; Truckers;Warehouse Operators and Ramp Service Companies; D.O.T. Hazmat Website; D.O.T. Hazmat Website;
What we look for in an MSDS for Lithium Metal Batteries
- February 2010: Unsafe cell phone use; Lithium Batteries, a major concern; Lithium Battery Recall; More MSDS
- January 2010: U.S. D.O.T./PHMSA released a 85 page notice of proposed rulemaking; Lithium Batteries, yes, the new IATA air regulations have been
changed to reflect the ICAO Regulations; Dangerous Goods Advisory Council; U.S. D.O.T./PHMSA Penalties increased; examine MSDS information
- December 2009: Oxygen Cylinders & Chemical Oxygen Generators; The IATA packing instructions for lithium batteries have been changed again for
2010; Journal of Hazmat Transportation is now available on line; RAS Holiday Schedule
- November 2009: Federal Acquisition Regulation will require that Federal contractors and sub-contractors use the E-Verify system to electronically
verify the employment eligibility and immigration status of their employees; Lithium Batteries – check out the videos on these links; new fire resistant cases for oxygen cylinders
- October 2009: Oxygen & Other Oxidizing Gas Cylinders & Chemical oxygen Generators; State instructs farmers to keep weed killer out of water;
Mandatory training is slated for Raynham firefighters at lithium battery plant; IATA will be changing the LI Battery packing instructions to comply with the ICAO Technical Instructions
- September 2009: Lithium Batteries, Confusion, frustration and non-compliance still exists in all modes of transportation.
- August 2009: Training – it’s the law!; Who needs to be trained?; Lithium Batteries – new set of proposed regulations before the end of the year;
Lost, stolen or tampered cargo
- July 2009: Fireworks, Lithium Batteries Reminder
- June 2009: Future Rulemaking for Lithium Batteries; increase in the theft of 45 Ft. empty ocean containers; lack of secure rest areas as thefts and
hijackings seem to be on the increase; air freight in the greater New York area is down about 30%; What happens when a shipment is refused by a carrier for non-compliance?
- May 2009: The weakest link: untrained warehouse employees; The U.S. D.O.T. (PHMSA) does not allow Lithium Metal Batteries (UN 3090) to be shipped via
passenger-carrying aircraft; Oops! Are you well known?
- April 2009: Lithium Batteries -- problem for shippers; Feedback from airlines; Non Vessel Operators (NVO); EHS (Environmentally Hazardous
Substances); The Soap Box
- March 2009: Employees must be instructed specifically about lithium batteries; MSDS; D.O.T. Hazmat Website; 24 Hour Emergency Phone Contact; DGAC
Conference; air waybills, bills of lading, manifests, dangerous goods declarations;importing non-hazardous goods
- February 2009: Lithium Batteries; MSDS; DGAC; The Economy; Tip of the hat” to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew
- January 2009: Lithium Batteries (Oh, no! More regulations?); MSDS Form; Dangerous Goods Advisory Council
- December 2008: shipping perfumes and colognes via the U.S. Post Office; Ocean & Air Training Programs; Lithium Batteries; Radioactive Material
Training; Global Harmonization
- September 2008: warehouse training for employees recuces damaged freight; Quantas Airline B-747 ruptured fuselage; Two warehouse employees killed by
chemical spill in St’ Louis.
- August 2008: July 25 a Qantas Boeing 747-400 lost cabin pressure.. ; About DGAC
- June 2008: Fireworks!; Limited Quantities by Ocean (IMDG Code); FAA Pilot Hazmat Notification
- April - May 2008: U.S. National Transportation Safety Board; U.S. D.O.T. / PHMSA – More on Lithium Batteries; Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates
at JFK and on the web; 30th Annual Conference and Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition
- February - March 2008: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK and on the web; Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) - New Service; TSA; DSA;
30th Annual Conference and Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition; 30 years of shipping regulations changes
- October 2007: U.S. D.O.T. More on Lithium Batteries; TSA - reminder; more on MSDS; Advisory from the FAA concerning lithium batteries and MSDS's
- August 2007: DOT/PHMSA published a proposed rule in the July 2nd Federal Register; Batteries; Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS); deadline for
Security Threat Assessment submissions
- June 2007: TSA Extension; U.S. Independence Day - July 4, 2007; What are NPEs? (Nonyl Phenol Ethoxylates); the upcoming 29th Annual DGAC Conference
- May 2007: Security Threat Assessment submissions; Overpacks; John Eversole - Rest in Peace
April 2007: Shipping Dangerous Goods in Drums; Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK and on the web; Transportation Security Administration
- important new amendments.
March 2007: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK and on the web
February 2007: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK and on the web; Lithium Batteries ; Lithium Batteries; Transportation
Security Administration; U.N. Specifications Packages; Toxic Substances 6.1 (Liquids & Solids);
- December 2006: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK and the web; Perfumes, colognes and cosmetics.; TSA amended the compliance dates for
TSA-2004-19515; Lithium Batteries: concerns; Amendment 33-06 is effective as of 1 January 2007; IATA changes in 2007; Labelmaster 2nd edition; DGAC's 7th International Dangerous Goods
- Septmeber 2006: 9-11; Transportation Security; Perfumes, colognes and cosmetics; Verizon; DGAC's 28th Annual Conference; DGAC's 2007 International
Conference; New final rules published by the U.S. D.O.T./Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
- August 2006: www.r-a-specialists.com Disruption of service; Airline Security; Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK; Perfumes, colognes and
cosmetics; GHS/Environmentally Hazardous Substances workshop; DGAC's 28th Annual Conference & Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition; DGAC's 2007 International Conference,
March 6-7, 2007, in Prague
- July 2006:
- U.S. and International Transportation Laws require that any employee who prepares hazardous materials (dangerous goods) for transportation must be trained.; Fireworks; Lithium
Batteries; Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) Program
- May 2006: U.S. DOT/PHMSA Issues New Maximum Limits for Civil and Criminal Penalties; HM-240 - Final Rule; Published 12/9/2005; Effective Date
1/9/2006; Exemptions and Special Permits; Batteries
- January 2006: Fraud? Forgery?;Hazmat/Dangerous Goods Training Programs; U.S. D.O.T. HM-240,
- November 2005: FAA's New Training Requirements
- September 2005: Hurricane Katrina; DGAC's 27 Annual Conference; IATA Addendum IV; 24-hour Emergency Phone Contact; U.S. Truckers Hours of Service
- July 2005: More on security; Many ocean carriers now request all the details about inner and outer packaging; The 2005 Hazardous Materials
- June 2005: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK; U.S. Hazmat Security; Lithium Batteries; 24-Hour Emergency Response Phone Number; DGAC
27th Annual Conference
- May 2005: Upcoming Dangerous Goods Training Dates at JFK; New Refrigerated Packing by R-A Specialists; LIMITED QUANTITY by Ocean; Security; Aircraft
Pilot Notification; Solar Case Revisited;
- April 2005: Aircraft Pilot Notification; Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods Training; Lithium Batteries reminder; Passengers' Cigarette Lighters and
Matches - reminder; U.S. Department of Homeland Security; My Soapbox; IATA Corrections; ICAO Corrections; International Civil Aviation Organization Technical instructions for safe
transport of dangerous goods by air; 650 packaging instructions
- March 2005: Changes at the U.S. D.O.T; Lithium Batteries; 24 hour Emergency Phone Contact; Cigarette Lighters and Matches; Security Training
Programs; Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods Training; U.S. Truckers\
- January/February 2005: More on Lithium Batteries; Dangerous Goods Advisory Council will hold its 6th International Conference
- November 2004: Lithium Batteries; IATA Changes in the 46th Edition, 2005; Competition for the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations; Air Bag Inflators;
U.S./MEXICO Cross-Border Dangerous Goods Seminar; Important Dates
- September 2004: 2004 Republican National Convention in NYC, Notice of Possible Personal Searches by the NYPD, Air Bag Inflators, U.S./MEXICO
Cross-Border Dangerous Goods Seminar, Important Dates change
- August 2004: Threat level raised in some areas, AirBag Inflators,U.S./MEXICO Cross-Border Dangerous Goods Seminar, Oxygen Cylinders Shipped by Air -
- July 2004: US/Mexico Cross-Border Dangerous Goods Seminar, Hazardous Materials Incident Report, Security Concerns vs World Trade, Placards lead to
other responsibilities, Important Dates
- June 2004: Security and hazmat handeling, check your training records, U.S. Hazmat Cargo Security Regulations - effective now, Proposed Hazmat
Training Requirements for U.S. Air Carriers and their subcontractors, and Repair Stations, 24-Hour Emergency Telephone Contact
- March 2004: Check your training records, Security reminder, new hours of service rules are in effect for drivers, CDL's with Hazmat endorsements
require a security background check, the air eligibility mark is not required, Transport Canada’s Fall/2003 Newsletter excerpt
- October 2003: Chect your training records, Cautions for 2004, Security and other important things, Undeclared Dangerous Goods, DGAC Annual Meeting
- September 2003: Critical dates you cannot ignore, The Air Eligibility Mark, 2003 DGAC Annual Conference and Hazardous Materials Transportation
Exposition (November 13 & 14, 2003)
- July - August 2003: Changes in training dates, 2003 DGAC Annual Conference and Hazardous Materials Transportation Exposition,
Cargo Security Regulations, Proposed Hazmat Training Requirements, Undeclared Dangerous Goods continued.
- May - June 2003: Where have we been? New training class added for dangersous goods by air, new Security Initiatives, New Hazmat Cargo Regulations,
New proposed Hazmat Training Requirments; Undeclared Dangerous Goods
- February 2003: Columbia Shuttle, Security Alert, Classification Class 4, DGAC Conference, February -- a terrible month for
hazmats, US Hazmat Security Issues
- January 2003: New requirements for air shipments, new air eligibility mark, off the shelf UN packaging, drop tests, increased
security on airfreight, RSPA-02-12064 (HM-232), DGAC/Pira International 2003 Global Conference,
- November/December 2002: U.S. Regulatory update, Major issue raised by a D.O.T./RSPA Interpretation
- October 2002: Hazmat registration numbers, security programs, NTIA Docket No. 020816197-2197-01, Dangerous Goods Advisory
Council's Annual Conference Quiz
- September 2002: September 11, HM-228, HM-232, HM-232a, HM_232b, DGAC 2002 Annual Conference Quiz
- July - August 2002: Hazmat Security and Security Enhancements Quiz
- May 2002: Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) published; RSPA proposed new security initiatives
- April 2002: New ICAO symbol for dangerous goods transported by air, Quiz
- February 2002: HMAC name change, DTO's Frequency of Training, Anthrax defense, Quiz
- January 2002: Reflection on 2001, fireworks, new US DOT placard restrictions
- December 2001: WTC rememberd, revised death toll, website walk-through, Quiz
- November 2001: Change in R-A Specialists Procedures
- October 2001: A note about September 11, U.S. Environmental issues, Pop Quiz
- September 2001: Special note to truckers, Hazard Labels, HMAC Training Conference. Quiz
- August 2001: Review of training records, August Hazmat Pop Quiz
- July 2001: Managing Hazmat Compliance: Fact or Fiction
- June 2001: Final update on the Uganda Ebola Virus outbreak; Class 8, Corrosives
- February/March 2001: New Ocean Regulations; Radioactive Material.
- January 2001: Lithium Batteries; Ebola Virus Update
- December 2000: More on Infectious Substances and the Human Genome.
- October/November 2000: Infectious Substances.
- September 2000: Toxic Liquids and Solids, Serious Injury or Death.
- August 2000: Flammable Liquids.
- July 2000: Organic Peroxides.
- June 2000: FAA Fines, Explosives; Oxygen Cylinders into, through, or from the U.S.
- May 2000: ValuJet; Oxygen Generators; Oxidizers.
- April 2000: Alan I. Roberts becomes president of HMAC; Toxic Gases, Liquids, Solids.
- March 2000: Oxygen Cylinders; European Union Dangerous Goods Safety Advisors